Descendants of Richard Cheesome
Generation No. 1
1. RICHARD1 CHEESOME was born 1633 in London England. He married MARGARET ISHAM 1645 in VA, daughter of ROGER ISHAM and GRACE MADISON. She was born in VA.
Children of RICHARD CHEESOME and MARGARET ISHAM are:
2. i. JAMES2 CHISUM, b. 1657.
ii. ALEXANDER CHISUM, b. 1646.
iii. WILLIAM CHISUM, b. 1650.
Generation No. 2
2. JAMES2 CHISUM (RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1657. He married ANN CARTER August 31, 1678 in Somerson Co MD.
Children of JAMES CHISUM and ANN CARTER are:
3. i. JOHN3 CHISUM, b. 1681.
ii. JAMES CHISUM.
Generation No. 3
3. JOHN3 CHISUM (JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1681. He married ELIZABETH BRADLEY 1703 in Richard Co va.
Children of JOHN CHISUM and ELIZABETH BRADLEY are:
4. i. JOHN4 CHISUM, b. 1704, St. Johns Parish, King William Co, VA, USA.
ii. WILLIAM CHISUM, b. 1701.
Generation No. 4
4. JOHN4 CHISUM (JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1704 in St. Johns Parish, King William Co, VA, USA. He married ELEANOR GILLENTINE Abt. 1730 in St. Margarets Parish, Caroline Co, VA, USA, daughter of NICHOLAS GILLENTINE and MARY ECHOLS. She was born 1716 in King William Co, V, and died April 1804 in Amelia Co, VA, USA.
Children of JOHN CHISUM and ELEANOR GILLENTINE are:
5. i. ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, b. 1736, Caroline Co, VA, USA.
6. ii. ELIJAH CHISUM, b. 1744.
7. iii. JOHN CHISUM, b. 1732.
iv. JAMES CHISUM, b. 1734.
v. ABSOLOM CHISUM, b. 1740.
vi. ADMA CHISUM, b. 1742.
vii. ISHAM CHISUM, b. 1750.
viii. CLOE CHISUM, b. 1755.
ix. ANNA CHISUM, b. 1760.
x. PRISCILLA CHISUM, b. 1763.
xi. SARAH CHISUM, b. 1765.
xii. OBADIAH CHISUM, b. 1767.
xiii. ELISHA CHISUM, b. 1746.
Generation No. 5
5. ELIZABETH5 CHISUM (JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1736 in Caroline Co, VA, USA. She married JOHN ESTES in 1760, son of MOSES ESTES and ELIZABETH WEBB. He was born 1733 in Caroline, Lunenburg Co Va, and died October 1825 in Warren Co., KY.
Children of ELIZABETH CHISUM and JOHN ESTES are:
8. i. ABRAHAM6 ESTES, b. Bet. 1764 - 1770, Amelia, VA; d. May 22, 1844, Lincoln Co., KY.
ii. THOMAS LAFAYETTE ESTES, b. 1762, Tn; d. 1838, Barren Or Wasrren Co KY; m. REBECCA RYAN, 1806.
9. iii. JOHN ESTES, b. 1766, Amelia Co. VA; d. 1825, Calloway Co. MO..
10. iv. MOSES ESTES, b. 1768, Halafax CO. VA; d. November 1815, Wilson CO. TN.
v. CHISM ESTES, b. March 10, 1773, Halafax CO. VA; d. February 01, 1829, Harrisburg, Saline CO. IL; m. MARY POLLY JORDAN; b. 1786; d. 1859.
vi. NANCY ESTES, b. 1774, Amelia Co. VA; d. 1820, Franklin Or Jefferson CO. IL; m. JOHN SANDERS, 1806.
vii. ELIJAH ESTES, b. 1776, VA; d. 1824.
viii. WILLIAM ESTES, b. 1779, VA; d. May 01, 1815, Smith Co. TN; m. ELIZABETH WHITESIDE, 1800; b. 1780.
ix. ABSALOM ESTES, b. 1781, Davidson CO, TN; d. February 07, 1839, Mt Vernon, JEfferson CO. IL; m. SARAH CAMPBELL, 1803; b. 1786; d. 1860.
x. ELIZABETH ESTES, b. January 12, 1782, Halafax CO. VA; d. April 04, 1854, Anderson CO. TX; m. JOSEPH JORDAN, December 15, 1797, Warren CO. KY; b. 1775; d. 1840.
xi. JOSEPH ESTES, b. 1784, VA; d. February 27, 1846, Mt Vernon, JEfferson CO. IL; m. KITTY LEE; b. 1791; d. 1862.
6. ELIJAH5 CHISUM (JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1744. He married LUCINDA CLAIBORNE 1722 in VA.
Children of ELIJAH CHISUM and LUCINDA CLAIBORNE are:
11. i. JAMES STEWART6 CHISUM, b. November 12, 1774; d. August 04, 1851.
12. ii. JOHN CHISUM, b. 1776.
iii. WILLIAM CHISUM, b. 1778.
iv. ELIZABETH CHISUM, b. 1780.
v. MALINDA CHISUM, b. 1782.
vi. ELIJAH JR. CHISUM, b. 1784.
vii. THOMAS CHISUM, b. 1787.
7. JOHN5 CHISUM (JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1732. He married MARGARET CHISUM.
Children of JOHN CHISUM and MARGARET CHISUM are:
i. ANNA6 CHISUM, b. 1777; m. JOHN WALLING.
13. ii. ISHAM RUSSELL CHISUM, b. 1775; d. 1829, Covington CO. MS.
14. iii. ELIJAH KAUFMAN CHISUM, b. 1779.
iv. CLOE CHISUM, b. 1781.
v. PHOEBE CHISUM, b. 1783.
vi. JESSE CHISUM, b. 1785.
vii. JOHN CHISUM, b. 1787.
viii. SALLIE CHISUM, b. 1789.
Generation No. 6
8. ABRAHAM6 ESTES (ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born Bet. 1764 - 1770 in Amelia, VA, and died May 22, 1844 in Lincoln Co., KY. He married (1) MARY EAST. He married (2) MARGARET MCCORMACK December 31, 1789, daughter of CAPT. MCCORMACK and NANCY SHALLCROSS. She was born November 01, 1764 in VA, and died Aft. 1809.
Notes for ABRAHAM ESTES:
Abraham Estes was born in Amelia County in 1761-64 and moved to Halifax COunty VA, with his father John Estes , He enter the service under Capt John Martin, Lt Col John Logan and Col. Benjamin Logan.
Benjamin call him into service in the summer of 1781, as an indian spy and guard at Briggs' Station.
In March of 1782 he march with Benjamin Logan to the Falls of the Ohio to reinforce Gen George Rogers Clark and assisted him in erecting Fort Jefferson.
In August of 1782, Abraham Estes marched against the Indians who has defeated Col Triggs and Todd at the Battle of the Blue Lick. Abraham was ordered to stay at the Blue Lick's as an Indian spy.
He was asigned to protect the stores of salt that laid up there for use of the District of Kentucky, McAfee's Station under Moses Shelby, Isaac Shelby, Antony Biedsoe, and Abraham Tatum.
In Sept. 1782, he was ordered by Col. Benjamin Logan to join force under his command which was beginning a march to Gen Clark at the mouth of Licking River where thye cross the Miami River to the indian town of Standing Stone where they battled the Indians. They separated from Gen Clark and returned to Lincoln Co. Abraham Estes stay at McCormick Station until the end of the Revolutionary
War, where he served as guard at McCormack Garrison. He also served with capt. Joseph and Daniel
McCormick . Abraham was often in the company of Capt Daniel Boone at Ft. Boonesboro and James Harrod of Fort Harrod.
On Dec 31, 1789, Abraham married Margaret McCormick, daughtrer of Daniel McCormick. Margaret's daughter Margaret peggy Estes married Nathan Daugherty in 1852
He lived out his life in Licnoln Co. and died in 1844. He is buried in Estes Cem located in New Salem.
Children of ABRAHAM ESTES and MARGARET MCCORMACK are:
15. i. JAMES7 ESTES, b. May 02, 1798, Lincoln co ky.
ii. NANCY ESTES, b. 1836.
16. iii. HANNAH ESTES.
iv. JOHN MONROE ESTES.
v. ELIZABETH ESTES.
9. JOHN6 ESTES (ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1766 in Amelia Co. VA, and died 1825 in Calloway Co. MO.. He married ANN ESTES 1790. She was born 1770.
Children of JOHN ESTES and ANN ESTES are:
i. SALLY7 ESTES, b. 1795; m. CURTIS JORDON; b. 1790.
ii. JANE ESTES, b. 1800; m. HENRY FLEETCHER, April 18, 1822, Callaway CO MO.
iii. HUGH ESTES, b. 1800; m. SARAH HUFFMAN, May 29, 1834, Gasconade Co. MO.
iv. JOHN ESTES.
v. ELIZABETH ESTES, b. 1794; d. Calloway Co. MO.; m. JOHN HAYS, July 26, 1812, Lebanon, Wison Co. TN; b. 1790; d. Calloway Co. MO..
vi. JAMES ESTES, b. 1795; m. SARAH LAUGHLIN, August 06, 1825, Gasconade Co. MO; b. 1796.
10. MOSES6 ESTES (ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1768 in Halafax CO. VA, and died November 1815 in Wilson CO. TN. He married ELIZABETH RILEY July 04, 1796 in Logan Co KY. She was born 1778 in Bowling Green, Warren Co KY.
Children of MOSES ESTES and ELIZABETH RILEY are:
17. i. JOHN7 ESTES, b. 1797, TN or KY; d. 1859, Calloway Co. MO..
ii. ELIZABETH ESTES, b. 1798; d. March 07, 1851, Fulton Co, Il; m. JOHN FARRIS, July 01, 1817, Gatlatin Co IL; b. 1791, VA.
iii. MARY ESTES, b. 1800; d. 1855; m. WILLIAM ELMORE, December 04, 1820; b. 1800.
18. iv. LEWIS ESTES, b. 1802, Wilson CO. TN; d. December 14, 1878, Fulton Co, IL.
v. ROSEANNA ESTES, b. 1804, Wilson CO. TN; d. 1846, Fulton Co, IL; m. JEREMIAH FARRIS.
vi. NANCY ANN ESTES, b. September 29, 1805, Wilson CO. TN; d. 1870, Monroe Co MO; m. VINCENT YATES, 1827, Callaway CO MO; d. December 26, 1843, Monroe Co MO.
vii. SARAH ESTES, b. 1808, Wilson CO. TN; d. 1855; m. JOHN JR ADAMS; b. 1800.
19. viii. ABSOLOM ESTES, b. 1811, Wilson CO. TN; d. March 03, 1839, Calloway Co. MO..
ix. DORCAS ESTES, b. 1812.
20. x. THOMAS ESTES, b. 1813, Wilson CO. TN; d. 1852, Calloway Co. MO..
11. JAMES STEWART6 CHISUM (ELIJAH5, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born November 12, 1774, and died August 04, 1851. He married ELIZABETH GIBBONS January 26, 1794 in Claiborne Co. TN, daughter of THOMAS GIBBONS and ANN EPPS.
Notes for JAMES STEWART CHISUM:
On 1 Aug 1795 James was commissioned Lieutenant in Hawkins Co. Militia by Territorial Gov. William Blount. On 16 Jun 1800 he was commissioned Capt. in Grainger Co. Militia Reg and was living in Claiborne Co. at its organization in 1801, where he was a member of the Co. Court. James and Elijah Chisum removed to Middle Dist. of Tenn in 1801 after Elijah purchased 3000 acres of land. By 1809 James was in White Co. and was a recognized surveyor of Tenn. lands.
James Chisholm of Hawkins Co. TN; he served in the War of 1812, after which he was known as Major Chisholm; he represented Overton Co. in the State Senate of Tennessee, 1820-1823; He entered service 8 Oct 1811 as a private under Capt. Abel Willis Co, Col. Thomas McCorory's Reg. West Tenn Militia.
He transferred 17 Oct 1813 to Capt. William Russell's Co., Mounted Spies; served to 4 Apr 1814, residence at that time was Monroe Co.
The Mallary book says of James: "James remained in Overton Co., TN where he became the founder and trustee with Moses Fiske of the Fiske Female Academy (the first girls' school in the territory south of the Ohio River) . From 1819 to the time they moved to Hardeman Co., TN, he was a member of the Tenn. Assembly or Legislature. The whole family was well educated and interested in helping others to get an education.
From 1821 to 1825 James represented Overton, Jackson and White Counties in the 14th and 15th General Assemblies of the Tenn. State Senate.
In 1823 He came to Hardeman Co. and settled on land on Clover Creek near Cloverport. He was a Major of the Militia of Hardeman County. His home Place was owned by his son-in-law Robert Hicks Vernon and was known as the "Old Vernon place". On it is an old cemetery in which lie James Chisum and his wife and beside them lie Robert H. Vernon and his wife Nancy . Major James Chisum died intestate in 1834 and his wife Elizabeth died in 18 51.
They had ten children.
Besides a large plantation in Hardeman Co., TN, he owned a lumber mill, several farms as well as seventeen slaves. He died in Bolivar, TN in 1835.
Found in Hardeman Co., TN, 21 July 1837 is the following in Deed Bk . E, p.287: Claiborne Chisum, Thomas G. Chisum, John Johnson and wife Polly, Walter Robinson and wife Rebecca, Andrew Turner and wife Levina, Jonah Robinson and wife Elizabeth, to Robert H. Vernon (Husband of Nancy Epps Chisum) claim they may be entitled at death of Elizabeth Chisum, widow of James, in dower.
6 June 1836, James S. Chisum sells to George Overton, land in 10th Dist. R#, Sec. 6, 268 1/2 acres.
21 Sept. 1836, Hardeman Co., TN is settlement with Robert H. Vernon , administrator of the estate of James S. Chisum.
He became an extensive dealer in lands in Western Tennessee; he died in 1835 at his home in Hardeman Co.
Issues: Mary, Claiborne (father of John S . Chisholm,"cattle King" of the 1870's, for whom the Chisholm Trail was named), Lucinda, Rebecca, Nancy Eppes, Thomas G., Levina, James S., Elizabeth, and John G. Chisholm, and in 1840, they removed with their family to what is now Lamar Co. Texas.
Their daughter Sarah was twice married:
1.Benjamin Turner. 2. Dr. Henry G. McDonald. Of the first marriage was born John Benjamin Turner, father of the compiler of this material. Of the second marriage, a son, William J. Mc Donald, was born 21 Dec. 1844; he never married and, at his death in 1926, he left the bulk of his fortune to the University of Texas for the purpose of building an astronomical observatory. The observatory, built on Mt. Locke, was completed in 1939 and has the second telescope in size in this country.
James was appointed as Justice of the Peace of the newly formed Claiborne Co., TN in 1801; he was 27 years old. He, along with his father Elijah and brother John, formed the Chisum Land Company in Overton Co., TN. It is said they were quite wealthy.
Maude Pirtle Taylor Notes:
Major James Chisum removed with his father's family from Virginia to NC, and resided in the District of Washington and Sullivan Counties, which was included in the South West Territory in 1789. They were living in that part of Sullivan that became Hawkins Co., NC in 1786. Thomas Gibbons family also lived in the same district during the Rev. War. James Chisum was a surveyor by profession, and many deeds of East, and also West TN, bear his signature; also early town-sites plats, and county boundaries, maps, etc.
He served also as Capt., and later, Major of the Hardeman Co. Militia.
Received from M. Louise (Click) McPherson, date of birth to be 26 Nov 1774 instead of Jan.
1835 Adam Ross Simonton of Iredell Co., NC power of atty to James S . Chisum to sell land allotted to Wife, Jane, one of the Legatees of Washington Byers, Dec'd Hardeman Co., Deeds E, 8
Children of JAMES CHISUM and ELIZABETH GIBBONS are:
i. MARY ANN7 CHISUM, b. March 26, 1795.
21. ii. CLAIBORNE CHISUM, b. June 22, 1797.
iii. LUCINDA CHISUM, b. January 16, 1800.
iv. NANCY EPPS CHISUM, b. February 21, 1804.
v. THOMAS GIBBONS CHISUM, b. March 20, 1806.
vi. LAVINIA CHISUM, b. February 10, 1808.
vii. JAMES SIMPSON CHISUM, b. January 29, 1810.
viii. ELIZABETH CHISUM, b. August 27, 1812.
ix. JOHN GIBBONS CHISUM, b. December 14, 1818.
12. JOHN6 CHISUM (ELIJAH5, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1776. He married MARY ANN ARMSTRONG.
Child of JOHN CHISUM and MARY ARMSTRONG is:
22. i. LUCINDA ARMSTRONG7 CHISUM.
13. ISHAM RUSSELL6 CHISUM (JOHN5, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1775, and died 1829 in Covington CO. MS. He married PERMELIA ROBERTS 1804, daughter of GEORGE ROBERTS and RHODA PAYNE.
Children of ISHAM CHISUM and PERMELIA ROBERTS are:
i. FLORA ANN7 CHISUM, b. 1802; d. May 31, 1880; m. ALLEN ROWLAND, 1816, Marion Co MS.
ii. JOHN CHISUM, b. 1805; m. VERLINDA HARVEY.
iii. ALEXANDER CHISUM, b. 1806; m. ROSANNAH PACE.
iv. RHODA CHISUM, b. September 01, 1808; d. May 1891; m. JOHN WALLING JR, 1824, Texas.
v. CLAIBORNE CHISUM, b. 1811; d. 1838, Washington CO. TX.
vi. ANNE CHISUM, b. November 24, 1813; m. (1) JESSE WALLING; m. (2) GEORGE WHEELOCK, 1834.
vii. ISHAM RUSSELL CHISUM, b. August 05, 1818.
14. ELIJAH KAUFMAN6 CHISUM (JOHN5, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1779. He married (1) ELIZABETH WALLING. He married (2) SALINA BRILEY. He married (3) UNKNOWN.
Notes for ELIJAH KAUFMAN CHISUM:
William P. and John Monroe CHISUM, sons of Elijah Kaufman CHISUM Sr, are perhaps the first CHISUMs to enter Texas (Mexico). They are both in Texas in 1833 and are listed in the 1835 census of Nacogdoches Co, TX, next door to John WALLING (Jr). William P was listed as a single man and shows up in tax list for 1837, 1839 and 1840. John was a member of Cap Blount's Co during the Texas Revolution. John died 27 Jan 1892 and is buried in Altus, OK. Character certificates for John and William can be found in the General Land Office of Texas.
Children of ELIJAH CHISUM and ELIZABETH WALLING are:
i. JOHN MONROE7 CHISUM, b. April 12, 1807; d. January 27, 1892; m. MARY E GEORGE, October 25, 1840, Harrison Co TX.
ii. MARY C CHISUM, b. 1808; m. JAMES JACOBS, November 1827.
iii. WILLIAM P CHISUM, b. 1810; d. May 1857; m. LOUISA BRIMBERRY, October 25, 1837, Nacogdoches Co Texas.
iv. ISHAM RUSSELL CHISUM, b. December 18, 1812.
v. ELIJAH KAUFMAN CHISUM, b. February 21, 1815; m. DELILAH GEORGE, March 26, 1842, Nacogdoches Co Texas.
vi. GILLINGTON CHISUM, b. December 20, 1816.
Children of ELIJAH CHISUM and SALINA BRILEY are:
vii. THOMAS JEFFERSON7 CHISUM, b. 1836; m. MATILDA E CHAPMAN, December; b. December 05, 1861.
viii. REBECCA JANE CHISUM, b. 1838.
ix. ANDREW JACKSON CHISUM, b. January 06, 1845; d. February 08, 1918; m. MRS. A.L. LITTLE, November 01, 1868, Nacogdoches Co Texas.
Children of ELIJAH CHISUM and UNKNOWN are:
x. CLAINORNE7 CHISUM, b. 1820; d. February 12, 1873; m. ELIZABETH ALDERS, June 28, 1860, Nacogdoches Co Texas.
xi. JAMES MADISON CHISUM, b. 1823; d. 1853; m. MARGARET ANN NESBITT, May 25, 1843.
Generation No. 7
15. JAMES7 ESTES (ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born May 02, 1798 in Lincoln co ky. He married NANCY EAST November 15, 1819 in Garrard Co/ Ky, daughter of JAMES EAST and LUCY ENGLISH. She was born 1794 in Lincoln co ky.
Children of JAMES ESTES and NANCY EAST are:
23. i. MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, b. November 02, 1829; d. February 17, 1887.
ii. JOHN WELSH ESTES, b. November 16, 1820.
iii. ELEANOR ESTES, b. January 15, 1822.
iv. JOSEPH MCORMICK ESTES, b. November 25, 1823.
v. POLLY ESTES, b. 1827.
vi. RACHEL WILSON ESTES, b. June 19, 1825.
vii. GIRL ESTES, b. 1826.
viii. JAMES CARROLL ESTES, b. August 15, 1830.
ix. SALLY JANE ESTES, b. September 19, 1832.
x. NANCY B ESTES, b. January 28, 1836.
xi. GEORGE W ESTES, b. April 01, 1838.
xii. ELIZABETH JORDAN ESTES, b. May 28, 1840.
16. HANNAH7 ESTES (ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) She married CHARLES DAUGHERTY 1851, son of JOHN DAUGHERTY and DARCAS EVANS. He was born March 31, 1827.
Child of HANNAH ESTES and CHARLES DAUGHERTY is:
i. JURITHA8 DAUGHERTY.
17. JOHN7 ESTES (MOSES6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1797 in TN or KY, and died 1859 in Calloway Co. MO.. He married (1) JANE ESTES 1830. She was born 1803, and died 1853 in Calloway Co. MO.. He married (2) CYNTHIA ANN MARTIN January 30, 1853 in Callaway CO MO. She was born 1822 in VA.
Children of JOHN ESTES and JANE ESTES are:
i. WILLIAM RILEY8 ESTES, b. 1833.
ii. JAMES A ESTES, b. 1835.
iii. THOMAS H B ESTES ESTES, b. 1837.
iv. MOSES P. ESTES, b. 1837.
v. MARY C. ESTES, b. 1841.
Children of JOHN ESTES and CYNTHIA MARTIN are:
vi. HARVEY J8 ESTES, b. 1854.
vii. LUCINDA ELIZABETH ESTES, b. 1856, Calloway Co. MO.; m. WILLIAM PIERSON, March 05, 1876, Callaway CO MO; b. 1850, Calloway Co. MO..
18. LEWIS7 ESTES (MOSES6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1802 in Wilson CO. TN, and died December 14, 1878 in Fulton Co, IL. He married ANN FARRIS. She was born 1807 in ky, and died December 01, 1878 in Fulton Co, IL.
Children of LEWIS ESTES and ANN FARRIS are:
i. EMILY C8 ESTES, b. October 03, 1835.
ii. WILLIAM ESTES, b. 1837.
iii. JOHN ESTES, b. 1843.
19. ABSOLOM7 ESTES (MOSES6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1811 in Wilson CO. TN, and died March 03, 1839 in Calloway Co. MO.. He married VIOLETT ESTES in Callaway CO MO. She was born 1810 in ky.
Child of ABSOLOM ESTES and VIOLETT ESTES is:
i. THOMAS HARVEY8 ESTES, b. 1834.
20. THOMAS7 ESTES (MOSES6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born 1813 in Wilson CO. TN, and died 1852 in Calloway Co. MO.. He married MARY JANE CALVIN January 08, 1835 in Callaway CO MO. She was born 1814 in ky.
Children of THOMAS ESTES and MARY CALVIN are:
i. SARAH8 ESTES, b. 1836.
ii. LOUISA ESTES, b. 1837.
iii. JOHN B ESTES, b. 1839.
iv. MARY JANE ESTES, b. 1841.
v. JAMES PRESLEY ESTES, b. 1842.
vi. WILLIAM MOSE ESTES, b. May 26, 1844.
vii. MAHALA FREANCIS ESTES, b. 1846.
viii. ABSOLEM THOMAS ESTES, b. 1849.
ix. NANCY ESTES, b. 1850.
21. CLAIBORNE7 CHISUM (JAMES STEWART6, ELIJAH5, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born June 22, 1797. He married (1) LUCINDA ARMSTRONG CHISUM October 12, 1820 in Hardeman Co. TN, daughter of JOHN CHISUM and MARY ARMSTRONG. He married (2) CYNTHIA HENDERSON LATIMER 1840.
Children of CLAIBORNE CHISUM and LUCINDA CHISUM are:
i. NANCY EPPES8 CHISUM, b. January 22, 1822.
ii. JOHN SIMPSON CHISUM, b. August 16, 1824; d. December 24, 1884.
Notes for JOHN SIMPSON CHISUM:
John Simpson Chisum was born on August 15, 1824 at Hardeman, Tennessee. In 1867, Chisum and his brother Pitzer moved to New Mexico with a large herd of cattle and built a huge ranch at Bosque Grande, in Lincoln County. James and Jeff Chisum joined their brothers John and Pitzer at the ranch shortly thereafter. In 1873, Chisum created another ranch 18 miles south of Fort Sumner, in San Miguel County. Then in 1875, Chisum started another ranch at South Spring, a few miles from the Pecos River and near the Seven Rivers area and present-day Roswell, again in Lincoln County. In the same year, he was forced to sell most of his stock holdings as well as the Bosque Grande Ranch to the cattle contracting firm of Hunter & Evans. However, he stayed on at the Bosque Grande Ranch as a manager, so basically nothing changed for him in his daily life. Chisum became a very hated man by the smaller ranchers in Seven Rivers, due to the fact that the massive Chisum herds were using all the public domain land for grazing. His herds were constantly stolen by the likes of the Jessie Evans Gang, the John Kinney Gang, and most of all, the Seven Rivers Warriors. This also caused Chisum to grow to hate the monoplozing L. G. Murphy (later Jas. J. Dolan) & Co., because they bought his stolen cattle. In 1876, Chisum started yet another ranch, this one in Sulphur Springs, Arizona. In 1877, Chisum and his brothers fought against the local rustling gangs in what was later called the War on the Pecos. Before the start of the Lincoln County War, Old John went into business with John Tunstall and Alex McSween and became the president of Tunstall's Firt National Bank on Lincoln. During the war, Chisum was able to avoid being near the actual gunfights through a few of his schemes. However, after Tunstall was killed and the avenging posse known as the Regulators were formed, Chisum did loan the Regulators his Hunter & Evans cattle detective Frank MacNab. His large South Spring Ranch often served as a hideout for the Regulators as well. After the war, Billy the Kid asked Chisum to pay him $500 for his services in the war. When Chisum refused, Billy decided to take the money Chisum owed him out of his cattle, allegedly figuring that each cow was worth $5 of the $500 Chisum owed him. Billy and the Rustlers stole hundreds of head of cattle from Chisum. Chisum was one of Billy's and the Rustlers' biggest enemies after the war and was mainly the reason that Pat Garrett became sheriff of Lincoln County. In summer of 1884, Chisum started growing a neck tumor and had to go to Kansas City, Missouri, where surgeory was performed on his neck on July 17. The tumor wasn't completely removed though, and in the fall of 1884 went to Eureka Springs, Arkansas, hoping the baths there would cure him of his tumor. It didn't work as he planned, however, and Chisum died of the neck tumor at Eureka Springs on December 22, 1884, with his body being buried in Paris, Texas shortly thereafter. After his death, his cattle empire throughout New Mexico and Arizona collapsed and was completely gone by 1891.
Chisum was a Texas bachelor in his early thirties. However, there were rumors, later proved to be true, that he had a love affair and two daughters by a mulatto slave girl. He had purchased her for $1400 from some emigrants bound for California. Jensie was an excellent housekeeper and cook, only fifteen and beautiful. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Chisum freed all his slaves, including her. He then put her and the girls in a home in Bonham, Texas and left funds for their needs.
He blazed the historic Chisum Trail from the little town of Paris, Texas, where his cattle herd was first begun, across the desert of Texas then north to the Pecos Valley in southeastern New Mexico. Tales have varied about how many cattle were in the drive in 1867 when he took them to Fort Sumner. Some say 600, some say 900. Author Georgia B. Redfield in an article in The Cattleman about 1942, describes the trip
JOHN S. CHISUM (1824-1884)
CATTLE BARON WHO MOVED HERDS FROM EAST TO WEST
TEXAS AND INTO NEW MEXICO AND FOUNDED ONE OF THE
GREATEST CATTLE SPREADS IN THE WEST.
COMING FROM TENNESSEE TO PARIS 1837, CHISUM JOINED
S.K. FOWLER IN A CATTLE VENTURE IN DENTON COUNTY 1854.
DURING THE CIVIL WAR HE SUPPLIED BEEF TO THE CONFEDERATE
TROOPS WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI AND HIS COWBOY'S GUARDED
THE FRONTIER AGAINST INDIANS.
AFTER MOVING IN 1864 TO THE CONCHO RIVER THEN TO
BOSQUE GRANDE ON THE PECOS, HE FINALLY LOCATED HIS
SPREAD AT SOUTH SPRING NEAR ROSWELL NEW MEXICO 1873.
HIS ENORMOUS HERDS -60,000 TO 100,000- POUNDED
TRAILS ACROSS TEXAS INTO NEW MEXICO. HIS NAME AND FAME
LED TO CONFUSION WITH JESSE CHISHOLM, BLAZER OF PART
OF THE HISTORICAL TEXAS-TO-KANSAS CATTLE TRAIL.
CHISUM'S ONE TIME PARTNER, FAMOUS CATTLEMAN CHARLES
GOODNIGHT, SAID THAT CHISUM WHO COULD CORRECTLY TALLY
THREE GRADES OF MOVING CATTLE AT ONCE, WAS THE BEST
COUNTER HE KNEW. CHISUM'S DISTINCTIVE "LONG RAIL" BRAND
AND JINGLEBOB EAR-NOTCH DEFIED ALTERATION.
A DISASTROUS PACKING HOUSE DEAL AND INVOLVEMENT IN
THE 1876 LINCOLN COUNTY WAR IN WHICH BILLY THE KID
AND VARIOUS CATTLE FACTIONS FIGURED, ULTIMATELY LED
TO CHISUM'S FINANCIAL RUIN. -1967-
iii. JAMES THOMAS CHISUM, b. September 25, 1827.
iv. THOMAS JEFFERSON CHISUM, b. 1830.
v. PITSER MILLER CHISUM, b. February 28, 1834.
Children of CLAIBORNE CHISUM and CYNTHIA LATIMER are:
vi. ROBERT8 CHISUM, b. 1842.
vii. LAURA CHISUM, b. 1843.
viii. MARY CHISUM, b. 1844.
ix. WILLIAM CHARLES CHISUM, b. October 20, 1849.
22. LUCINDA ARMSTRONG7 CHISUM (JOHN6, ELIJAH5, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) She married CLAIBORNE CHISUM October 12, 1820 in Hardeman Co. TN, son of JAMES CHISUM and ELIZABETH GIBBONS. He was born June 22, 1797.
Children are listed above under (21) Claiborne Chisum.
Generation No. 8
23. MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES (JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born November 02, 1829, and died February 17, 1887. She married NATHAN DAUGHERTY May 29, 1852 in Lincoln Co Stanford, Ky, son of JOHN DAUGHERTY and DARCAS EVANS. He was born April 01, 1831 in Lincoln Co, and died April 09, 1889 in Lincoln Co.
Children of MARGARET ESTES and NATHAN DAUGHERTY are:
24. i. GEORGE W9 DAUGHERTY, b. August 25, 1866; d. October 11, 1938.
ii. JAMES T DAUGHERTY, b. July 13, 1854, Lincoln Co Ky; d. 1904, Lincoln Co Ky; m. ROSA BELL WICHERSHAM SMITH, August 23, 1877, Lincoln Co; b. April 30, 1852; d. February 1901.
iii. JOHN E DAUGHERTY, b. July 15, 1853; d. November 14, 1901.
iv. DAVID E DAUGHERTY, b. November 23, 1856; m. POLLY SELF, Bet. January - April 1878; b. January 24, 1858.
v. SARAH ELIZABETH DAUGHERTY, b. February 26, 1858; m. WILES C. STRINGER, June 29, 1886; b. 1855.
25. vi. NANCY NANNIE DAUGHERTY, b. December 07, 1860.
vii. MARY MARGARET (MOLLIE) DAUGHERTY, b. February 11, 1862; m. JAMES STRINGER, August 01, 1889; b. 1860.
viii. FRANKLIN WOLFORD DAUGHERTY, b. August 26, 1866.
ix. SARAH E DAUGHERTY, b. December 1860.
26. x. DORCAS ANN DAUGHERTY, b. December 25, 1872.
27. xi. SALLIE BET DAUGHERTY.
28. xii. MOLLIE DAUGHERTY.
Generation No. 9
24. GEORGE W9 DAUGHERTY (MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born August 25, 1866, and died October 11, 1938. He married (1) ANNIE STRINGER October 07, 1889, daughter of DAVID STRINGER and PERNELY ADAMS. She died April 25, 1905. He married (2) MAGGIE NICKELS November 18, 1915.
Children of GEORGE DAUGHERTY and ANNIE STRINGER are:
29. i. JAMES HENRY10 DAUGHERTY, b. November 30, 1895; d. 1975.
ii. CLARENCE DAUGHERTY, m. PEARL.
Children of GEORGE DAUGHERTY and MAGGIE NICKELS are:
iii. WILLIE GARFIELD10 DAUGHERTY.
iv. WALTER E DAUGHERTY.
v. MARY MARGARET DAUGHERTY.
vi. LOTIE DAUGHERTY.
vii. DORCAS HANNAH DAUGHERTY.
viii. LENA MAE DAUGHERTY.
ix. MARTHA DAUGHERTY.
25. NANCY NANNIE9 DAUGHERTY (MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born December 07, 1860. She married WILLIAM HAHAN May 23, 1881. He was born 1860.
Children of NANCY DAUGHERTY and WILLIAM HAHAN are:
i. LILLIE10 HAHAN.
ii. DELLIE HAHAN.
26. DORCAS ANN9 DAUGHERTY (MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born December 25, 1872. She married GREEN SKIDMORE. He was born 1870.
Child of DORCAS DAUGHERTY and GREEN SKIDMORE is:
i. ODA10 SKIDMORE, b. 1895.
27. SALLIE BET9 DAUGHERTY (MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) She married (1) WILLIS G STRINGER, son of DAVID STRINGER and PERNELY ADAMS. She married (2) WILLIS G GREEN June 29, 1886.
Children of SALLIE DAUGHERTY and WILLIS STRINGER are:
i. MARY ALICE10 STRINGER.
ii. TOMMY STRINGER.
28. MOLLIE9 DAUGHERTY (MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) She married (1) JAMES H STRINGER, son of DAVID STRINGER and PERNELY ADAMS. She married (2) JAMES H. STRINGER August 01, 1884.
Child of MOLLIE DAUGHERTY and JAMES STRINGER is:
30. i. DOLLIE10 STRINGER.
Generation No. 10
29. JAMES HENRY10 DAUGHERTY (GEORGE W9, MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born November 30, 1895, and died 1975. He married VADA LAY August 1919, daughter of JAMES LEIGH and HANNAH SIMS. She was born May 22, 1902, and died June 30, 1980.
Notes for JAMES HENRY DAUGHERTY:
James Henry went to the Army Sept 21 1917, Camp Taylor Ky. Camp Shelbey , May 16, 1918,
Camp Murth NJ June 6, 1918, Left for France, first battle, July 26, 1918. Returned Home May 8, 1919.
was mustered gased while in France.
Children of JAMES DAUGHERTY and VADA LAY are:
31. i. LOIS11 DAUGHERTY, b. May 14, 1928, Lincoln Co; d. May 17, 1973, Lincoln Co.
32. ii. WALTER DAUGHERTY, b. January 25, 1926; d. July 15, 1961.
iii. GLADIS DAUGHERTY, m. CHESTER MOORE.
iv. STELLA DAUGHERTY, m. HARRY BROCK.
v. NELL DAUGHERTY, m. JIMMY MOORE.
vi. MILDRED DAUGHERTY, m. TOMMY GOLFF.
vii. RACHAEL DAUGHERTY, m. GEORGE JR. TILLETT.
33. viii. RICHARD DAUGHERTY, b. May 25, 1938; d. February 04, 1980.
ix. WANDA DAUGHERTY.
30. DOLLIE10 STRINGER (MOLLIE9 DAUGHERTY, MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) She married DAVID KENNEDY.
Children of DOLLIE STRINGER and DAVID KENNEDY are:
i. BERTHA11 KENNEDY.
ii. MARY GREEN KENNEDY, m. VIRGIL WILDER.
iii. NETTIE KENNEDY, m. ED PEEK.
iv. BETTIE KENNEDY, m. SAM HANCOCK.
v. GERTEUDE KENNEDY, m. CHARLES YATES.
vi. EMMA HAYSE KENNEDY, m. FRED ANDERSON.
vii. ALBERTA FRANCIS KENNEDY, m. PEANUT MOORE.
viii. BILL KENNEDY, m. PAULINE.
Generation No. 11
31. LOIS11 DAUGHERTY (JAMES HENRY10, GEORGE W9, MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born May 14, 1928 in Lincoln Co, and died May 17, 1973 in Lincoln Co. She married EUGENE CARRIER May 27, 1947 in Lincoln County, son of LOGAN CARRIER and DELLA BASTIN. He was born March 01, 1927.
Children of LOIS DAUGHERTY and EUGENE CARRIER are:
34. i. SANDRA JEAN12 CARRIER, b. August 09, 1951, Danville, Ky.
35. ii. DONNA CARRIER, b. March 30, 1949.
32. WALTER11 DAUGHERTY (JAMES HENRY10, GEORGE W9, MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born January 25, 1926, and died July 15, 1961. He married LILLIAN CARPENTER.
Children of WALTER DAUGHERTY and LILLIAN CARPENTER are:
i. STEVE12 DAUGHERTY.
ii. TEREAS DAUGHERTY.
33. RICHARD11 DAUGHERTY (JAMES HENRY10, GEORGE W9, MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born May 25, 1938, and died February 04, 1980. He married (1) WANDA CARPENTER. He married (2) LYDA MAE HAMILTON 1971.
Children of RICHARD DAUGHERTY and WANDA CARPENTER are:
i. KEITH12 DAUGHERTY.
ii. RONNIE DAUGHERTY.
iii. MADONNA DAUGHERTY.
Children of RICHARD DAUGHERTY and LYDA HAMILTON are:
36. iv. LATRICIA12 DAUGHERTY, b. April 07, 1967.
v. MELISSA FAYE DAUGHERTY, b. May 28, 1970.
Generation No. 12
34. SANDRA JEAN12 CARRIER (LOIS11 DAUGHERTY, JAMES HENRY10, GEORGE W9, MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born August 09, 1951 in Danville, Ky. She married LANNY ROY HUBBARD April 05, 1969 in Highland, Ky Mt Moriah, son of CHARLES HUBBARD and LOLA JENKINS. He was born March 18, 1949 in Kings Mtn Ky.
Children of SANDRA CARRIER and LANNY HUBBARD are:
i. DUANE ROBERT "ROBBIE"13 HUBBARD, b. September 10, 1970, Danville Ky.
ii. MICHAEL RYAN HUBBARD, b. March 27, 1974, Danville Ky.
35. DONNA12 CARRIER (LOIS11 DAUGHERTY, JAMES HENRY10, GEORGE W9, MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born March 30, 1949. She married DENNIS BLOUGH May 21, 1966 in High KY Mt Moriah Church, son of KEN BLOUGH and DILLIE HENSLEY. He was born January 15, 1947.
Child of DONNA CARRIER and DENNIS BLOUGH is:
37. i. DENNIS RAY13 BLOUGH, b. September 05, 1969.
36. LATRICIA12 DAUGHERTY (RICHARD11, JAMES HENRY10, GEORGE W9, MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born April 07, 1967. She married (1) JAMES MICHAEL BRANSON. She married (2) JOSEPH HARRIS.
Child of LATRICIA DAUGHERTY and JAMES BRANSON is:
i. JAMES RICHARD13 BRANSON, b. October 01, 1990.
Generation No. 13
37. DENNIS RAY13 BLOUGH (DONNA12 CARRIER, LOIS11 DAUGHERTY, JAMES HENRY10, GEORGE W9, MARGARET ANN "PEGGY"8 ESTES, JAMES7, ABRAHAM6, ELIZABETH5 CHISUM, JOHN4, JOHN3, JAMES2, RICHARD1 CHEESOME) was born September 05, 1969. He married ANGIE SHARPE. She was born February 06, 1972.
Children of DENNIS BLOUGH and ANGIE SHARPE are:
i. BLANDON14 BLOUGH, b. January 15, 1993.
ii. KYLE BLOUGH, b. September 15, 1995.
iii. JORDON BLOUGH, b. May 13, 1998.