Descendants of Monroe Smith
Generation No. 1
1. MONROE1 SMITH He married ELIZABETH ROUTIN, daughter of JOHN ROUTIN and MARTHA WITHERS. She was born 1841 in Lincoln Co Ky.
Notes for MONROE SMITH:
) Lincoln County (Court) Order Book 13, page 95 (October, 1847)Monroe Smith became administrator of the estate of William Routon, deceased. Several men named to appraise the estate. (I do not yet have the appraisal and don't know how many years it took to settle the estate. I hope to get this in the near future.)
Monroe Smith, the power of attorney for William Bailey Rowten, was the brother-in-law of John Routon, Sr., having married his sister Elizabeth Rowten. It's possible, and maybe even likely, that William Rowten, who married Nancy Spires was actually a William Jr., son of the original William and brother of John Sr. and Elizabeth. Perhaps William Bailey Rowten was claiming his right to a portion of William Sr.'s estate as an heir of William Jr. I believe the fact that he chose Monroe Smith to represent his interest indicates he is closely related to Elizabeth Rowten Smith.
Notes for ELIZABETH ROUTIN:
On this 30th day of May, 1883, at near McKinney, County of Lincoln, State of Kentucky, before me, H. Percy Smith, a Specal Examiner of the Pension Office, personally apeared Elizabeth Smith, who being by me first duly sworn to answer truly all interrogatories propounded to her during this Special Examination of aforesaid pension claim, deposes and says that her age is about 65 years, that she is the wife of Monroe Smith, and her post office address is McKinney, Lincoln County, Ky.How are you related to John Routien, an applicant for pension?He is my nephew by blood.How soon after his discharge from the Army did you see him?Almost immediately. He came home immediately to my sons James Smith's about a mile away.What was his physical condition at the time of his discharge?He came home in bad health, hardly able to get about. His eyes were bad for some time, but they seemed to get over it, only he always kept snapping them afterwards. He always had a hacking cough after the war. It was worse when he would take cold. When he first came home he couldn't see much, could hardly tell one person from another and he didn't sit up much until his eyes got better, and then he got about.How long did his eyes continue to be diseased after his discharge? I would think twelve months, but I don't recollect how long.How soon was he able to go to work after his discharge?I don't recollect how long. But he never worked while his eyes were sore. But when they got better he picked up and worked. He worked on James Smith's farm and at Varner's oil well. He never seemed to me to be just the man he was before the war. He wasn't bad enough for people to notice it He wasn't very bad when he came home from the army and could knock around then.Was he disabled to any extent from obtaining a subsistence for mannuel labor after his eyes got well? At times he was. What seemed to disable him?That cough. He always thought they discahrged him on account of the measles settling in his eyes and lungs. I never heard of anything else.Did he continue to have a cough as long as he remained in this County? Oh yes, a sort of hacking cough, but it wasn't bad.Did he complain of having lung disease? Well, he said he believed it was that, but he didn't know.Did he have any appearance of having lung disease? He didn't look well. He looked poor and bad and he didn't have much color. He had been a fresh red-looking lively man before the war.Did his eyesight become perfectly well about a year after his discharge? I suppose it did. I didn't hear any more complaint about his eyes. The looked all right except that he had learned to the habit of squinting them up.When he did get to work, did he keep at it regularly like a sound man? Oh sometimes he would give up and then he would go at it again.Did he work here at the house for your husband?I don't recollect whether he was hired here after the war but he boarded here and stayed here and worked at the oil well.Did his condition remain the same up to the time he removed to Illinois? Yes, he was weakly and in bad health when he left here. His eyes though had got well long before that.Did he ever have medical treatment for disease of lungs?I don't know.Or for disease of eyes? I dont know as he did. He just sort of patched himself up along, took teas and the like of that.Were you well acquainted with him before and at the time of his enlistment? Oh yes, certainly I was, from a child.Did he not have a hacking cough very shortly before his enlistment? Not that I recollect of.Did he at that time appear to be physically sound in every respect? Yes. I never heard any complaint before he went to the army. He was a healthy sound young man. Did he ever at any time prior to his enlistment have any disease of the eyes? Not that I recollect of, until he came home from the army. He said it was the measles himself.To what extent was he disabled for the performance of manual labor after his return from the army until his removal to Illinois? Sometimes he would be down a day or two at a time, and sometimes a half a day. He just seemed to be puny at tmes. He wasn't bad enough for anybody to notice unless it was his relatives or anybody who was with him all the time. He wasn't bad, just weakly and puny. Signed: Elizabeth Smith, her markWitness: Monroe SmithLeah's note: Later records indicate that John had acquired tuberculosis (consumption) while in the Army. He had also had measles during a severe epidemic at Camp Robinson, which affected his eyesight for the remainder of his life.
Child of MONROE SMITH and ELIZABETH ROUTIN is:
2. i. MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, b. May 26, 1842; d. March 26, 1894, Lincoln Co Ky.
Generation No. 2
2. MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH (MONROE1) was born May 26, 1842, and died March 26, 1894 in Lincoln Co Ky. She married SAMUEL SMITH BASTIN March 27, 1856 in Lincoln Co , Ky, son of THOMAS BASTIN and JUDITH HODGE. He was born January 06, 1834 in Lincoln Co Ky, and died July 01, 1924.
Notes for SAMUEL SMITH BASTIN:
Mary 'Polly ' Smith 27 Mar 1856 in Lincoln Co, KY by Judge Naipers (lic. dtd. 24 Mar 1856); married (2) Samantha Pruitt 07 Mar 1895 in Rockcastle Co, KY (by Elder Stephen Colier); married (3) Martha Ann Chesnut Abt. 1899.
Children of MARY SMITH and SAMUEL BASTIN are:
3. i. JOSEPH3 BASTIN, b. December 11, 1869; d. June 09, 1944.
ii. MARY B. BASTIN, b. 1865.
iii. JAMES MONROE BASTIN, b. February 01, 1867.
iv. OLIVER BASTIN, b. 1873.
v. CORA A. BASTIN, b. April 26, 1875.
vi. JOHN M. BASTIN, b. 1881.
4. vii. KENLEY BASTIN, b. September 26, 1878.
Generation No. 3
3. JOSEPH3 BASTIN (MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born December 11, 1869, and died June 09, 1944. He married SYRENA YOUNG December 25, 1889 in Lincoln County, Kentucky, daughter of HENDERSON YOUNG and JANE NEWELL. She was born March 13, 1873, and died May 16, 1941.
Children of JOSEPH BASTIN and SYRENA YOUNG are:
5. i. DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, b. December 30, 1894, Lincoln Co, Ky; d. June 11, 1982, Lincoln Co, Ky.
ii. WILLIE BASTIN.
iii. BERTHA BASTIN.
4. KENLEY3 BASTIN (MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born September 26, 1878. He married ELIZABETH BAUGH.
Child of KENLEY BASTIN and ELIZABETH BAUGH is:
6. i. BESSIE RACHEL4 BASTIN, b. July 15, 1902, Lincoln co ky; d. December 02, 1994, Lincoln co ky.
Generation No. 4
5. DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN (JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born December 30, 1894 in Lincoln Co, Ky, and died June 11, 1982 in Lincoln Co, Ky. She married LOGAN FRANKIN CARRIER November 14, 1912 in Lincoln Co, son of CHARLES CARRIER and MARY HUTCHISON. He was born April 11, 1891 in Lincoln County, KY, and died June 06, 1966 in Lincoln Co, Ky.
Children of DELLA BASTIN and LOGAN CARRIER are:
7. i. EUGENE5 CARRIER, b. March 01, 1927.
8. ii. ELMER CARRIER, b. October 20, 1916, Lincoln County KY.
iii. EDGAR CARRIER, b. October 18, 1918, Lincoln County KY; d. July 26, 1944, WW II.
9. iv. ELDA CARRIER, b. July 25, 1924; d. November 13, 1983, Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana.
10. v. LOGAN ETHERAGE CARRIER, b. November 05, 1929, Lincoln County KY.
11. vi. EVELYN CARRIER, b. January 25, 1933.
12. vii. EDITH MARIE CARRIER, b. January 02, 1914.
6. BESSIE RACHEL4 BASTIN (KENLEY3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born July 15, 1902 in Lincoln co ky, and died December 02, 1994 in Lincoln co ky. She married LON REED, son of WILLIAM REED and MARGARET CARRIER. He was born 1904 in Lincoln co ky, and died January 08, 1966 in Lincoln co ky.
Children of BESSIE BASTIN and LON REED are:
i. GENE5 REED, m. CHARLOTTE WILCOP, April 20, 1957.
ii. PAUL L. REED.
iii. NORMAN REED.
Generation No. 5
7. EUGENE5 CARRIER (DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born March 01, 1927. He married (1) LOIS DAUGHERTY May 27, 1947 in Lincoln County, daughter of JAMES DAUGHERTY and VADA LAY. She was born May 14, 1928 in Lincoln Co, and died May 17, 1973 in Lincoln Co. He married (2) DESSIE ROWE February 02, 1974 in Highland, Ky. She was born February 14, 1944.
Children of EUGENE CARRIER and LOIS DAUGHERTY are:
13. i. SANDRA JEAN6 CARRIER, b. August 09, 1951, Danville, Ky.
14. ii. DONNA CARRIER, b. March 30, 1949.
8. ELMER5 CARRIER (DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born October 20, 1916 in Lincoln County KY. He married CARRIE BAKER. She was born October 20, 1916 in Letcher Co Ky.
Children of ELMER CARRIER and CARRIE BAKER are:
i. ROYNALD LEE6 CARRIER, b. January 03, 1942; d. January 03, 1942.
ii. DAVID LYNN CARRIER, b. October 18, 1943; m. NOMA VANOVER, August 08, 1968.
iii. MICHAEL GORDON CARRIER, b. December 09, 1947; d. December 09, 1947.
9. ELDA5 CARRIER (DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born July 25, 1924, and died November 13, 1983 in Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana. He married GLADY M REED.
Child of ELDA CARRIER and GLADY REED is:
15. i. JERRY L6 CARRIER.
10. LOGAN ETHERAGE5 CARRIER (DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born November 05, 1929 in Lincoln County KY. He married PEGGY ULDINE JOHNSON January 23, 1954. She was born March 02, 1933 in Lincoln County KY.
Children of LOGAN CARRIER and PEGGY JOHNSON are:
16. i. CRYSTAL GAYE6 CARRIER, b. June 25, 1957.
ii. LESA JILL CARRIER, b. February 06, 1959.
17. iii. BARRY KEITH CARRIER, b. April 10, 1960.
11. EVELYN5 CARRIER (DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born January 25, 1933. She married HERBERT ESTES October 09, 1954. He died April 02, 1975.
Child of EVELYN CARRIER and HERBERT ESTES is:
18. i. PATRICIA ANN6 ESTES, b. December 14, 1957.
12. EDITH MARIE5 CARRIER (DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born January 02, 1914. She married WILLIE THOMAS YOUNG, son of DAVID YOUNG and MARY THOMPSON. He was born August 31, 1907 in Lincoln County KY.
Children of EDITH CARRIER and WILLIE YOUNG are:
19. i. VICTOR CLAYTON6 YOUNG, b. January 27, 1935.
20. ii. ROBERT WAYNE YOUNG, b. October 26, 1941.
iii. LINDA SABRA YOUNG, b. May 31, 1944; m. WILLIAM J BORDEN, June 20, 1978; b. January 26, 1933.
Generation No. 6
13. SANDRA JEAN6 CARRIER (EUGENE5, DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born August 09, 1951 in Danville, Ky. She married LANNY ROY HUBBARD April 05, 1969 in Highland, Ky Mt Moriah, son of CHARLES HUBBARD and LOLA JENKINS. He was born March 18, 1949 in Kings Mtn Ky.
Children of SANDRA CARRIER and LANNY HUBBARD are:
i. DUANE ROBERT "ROBBIE"7 HUBBARD, b. September 10, 1970, Danville Ky.
ii. MICHAEL RYAN HUBBARD, b. March 27, 1974, Danville Ky.
14. DONNA6 CARRIER (EUGENE5, DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born March 30, 1949. She married DENNIS BLOUGH May 21, 1966 in High KY Mt Moriah Church, son of KEN BLOUGH and DILLIE HENSLEY. He was born January 15, 1947.
Child of DONNA CARRIER and DENNIS BLOUGH is:
21. i. DENNIS RAY7 BLOUGH, b. September 05, 1969.
15. JERRY L6 CARRIER (ELDA5, DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1)
Child of JERRY L CARRIER is:
i. HEATHER JEQAN7 CARRIER.
16. CRYSTAL GAYE6 CARRIER (LOGAN ETHERAGE5, DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born June 25, 1957. She married RICKY LEE WESLEY in 6-27-1975. He was born July 01, 1955.
Child of CRYSTAL CARRIER and RICKY WESLEY is:
22. i. JOSHUA LEE7 WESLEY, b. October 11, 1979.
17. BARRY KEITH6 CARRIER (LOGAN ETHERAGE5, DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born April 10, 1960. He married PATRICIA ANN SIMS May 19, 1978, daughter of WALLACE SIMS. She was born October 10, 1960.
Child of BARRY CARRIER and PATRICIA SIMS is:
i. ADAM7 CARRIER, b. April 10, 1984.
18. PATRICIA ANN6 ESTES (EVELYN5 CARRIER, DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born December 14, 1957. She married DEREK A DONSON May 07, 1977.
Child of PATRICIA ESTES and DEREK DONSON is:
i. JONAS LOGAN7 DONSON, b. February 14, 1987.
19. VICTOR CLAYTON6 YOUNG (EDITH MARIE5 CARRIER, DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born January 27, 1935. He married BETTY LOU RHODUS December 14, 1957. She was born October 23, 1939.
Children of VICTOR YOUNG and BETTY RHODUS are:
i. VICTOR CLAYTON7 YOUNG, b. December 27, 1960; m. SHARI DONITA LANE, October 27, 1984; b. October 05, 1958.
ii. WILLIAM BRUCE YOUNG, b. October 08, 1962.
iii. ANITA ELIZABETH YOUNG, b. March 14, 1964.
20. ROBERT WAYNE6 YOUNG (EDITH MARIE5 CARRIER, DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born October 26, 1941. He married BARBARA SUE TAYLOR January 21, 1962. She was born October 10, 1943.
Children of ROBERT YOUNG and BARBARA TAYLOR are:
i. TIMOTHY7 YOUNG, b. March 06, 1963.
ii. DAVID MARK YOUNG, b. September 07, 1966; m. DEANNA BESS MORTON, October 05, 1987; b. July 22, 1964.
Generation No. 7
21. DENNIS RAY7 BLOUGH (DONNA6 CARRIER, EUGENE5, DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born September 05, 1969. He married ANGIE SHARPE. She was born February 06, 1972.
Children of DENNIS BLOUGH and ANGIE SHARPE are:
i. BLANDON8 BLOUGH, b. January 15, 1993.
ii. KYLE BLOUGH, b. September 15, 1995.
iii. JORDON BLOUGH, b. May 13, 1998.
22. JOSHUA LEE7 WESLEY (CRYSTAL GAYE6 CARRIER, LOGAN ETHERAGE5, DELLA SABRA4 BASTIN, JOSEPH3, MARY "POLLY"2 SMITH, MONROE1) was born October 11, 1979. He married (1) PAMELA MARIE JONES. She was born September 28, 1980. He married (2) HOLLIE TAYLOR in Not married.
Child of JOSHUA WESLEY and PAMELA JONES is:
i. JASMINE KALEY ALEXIS8 WESLEY, b. January 31, 2001.
Child of JOSHUA WESLEY and HOLLIE TAYLOR is:
ii. BRITTEN HARLEY8 WESLEY, b. September 03, 2001.