Kings Mountain community is
located on the crest of one of Kentucky’s beautiful knobs,
13 miles south of Stanford on KY highway 501. It has had
several names since being settled in the early 1800's
including Tunnel City, Kings Mountain Tunnel, & Kingsville.
There are two theories about how the name Kings Mountain
came to be associated with our little community. The name
may have been to honor the Revolutionary War battle of Kings
Mountain, North Carolina, but most likely it derives it
name from the King family who owned the hill, known as
Kings' Knob in which the tunnel was burrowed .
Before the building of the Southern Railroad, the closet
railway shipping point was on the L & N railroad located in
Maywood, KY, about ten miles from Kings Mountain. The
nearest post office was located in the Faulkner & Howard
store at Pleasant Point about 3 miles
east of the town. During the construction of the tunnel this
store served as the headquarters for provisions and supplies
for the workmen. After completion of the tunnel, the post
office was moved from Pleasant Point to Kings Mountain and
the name was change to Kings Mountain. Later, James Moore,
who had purchased land in the area, was afraid the word
mountain in the name would discourage people from settling
there; so he petitioned to have the Post Office name
changed from Kings Mountain to Kingsville.. How ever mail was received
with both names "Kingsville Post Office, Kings Mountain, Ky.
Dr. Thompson opened his office in Kings Mountain on August
1, 1892. Dr. Thompson stated that when he came to Kings
Mountain there were four stores,
W. L. McCarthy of the Hughes & McCarthy firm
of Stanford, Glass & Johnson, F. M. Howe and J. L. Johnson.
Dr. Thompson also stated that it would be difficult to count
the many businesses that he had seen rise and fall since he
opened his practice forty years earlier. Mr. G. A. Walter was a
Merchant for 37 years, Mr. J. W. Thompson, a brother to Dr.
Thompson and a merchant for 35 years, had a general store
with a drug department. Dr. D. W. Laswell was a prominent
business man and a general practitioner in Kings Mountain
for 27 years. In 1924, John Falconbury and the Patterson's
brothers established businesses and were successful
merchants in Kings Mountain .
The Patterson's Brothers operated a
large department store handing a great variety, including
wearing apparel, home furnishings, hardwood lumber, and
building materials of every description. The Patterson
brothers' store was located in the E. L. McCarthy building. There were two hotels,
the Pennebaker and the Hester Hotel and
saloon. C. F. Hutchison
operated a huckster wagon and the Hutchinson store.. The
store was located about a mile east of the railroad
station. J. H. Jenkins ran a black smith shop, sold cow
feed, operated an Ice wagon, a huckster wagon, and served a
term as magistrate. John A. Singleton and H. M. Hubbard
also served terms as magistrates. In 1932, R. K Lowe,
operated a notary Public office adjoining the post office.
O. J. Smith was postmaster, along with Lyman Howard and
Sherod Singleton was the rural mail carrier. Mr. and Mrs.
Steve Reynolds operated a lunch room and boarding house that
accommodated many railroad personnel . R. A.
Putteet operated a garage and a grist mill, Tilden Gooch
operated a filling station and a repair shop. J. D. Bennett
and Milton Trimble were the local barbers. Mr. V. N. Bastin
was station agent for the southern railroad and W. H. Leach
and Mason Caldwell were the night switch operators.
Mr. B. Skidmore was
section foreman. Mr. D. B. Baxter was signal maintainer and
his assistant was D. J. Boles.
Mr. A. C. Martin was pump
station engineer. There were three organized churches of
Kings Mountain area, The Christian
church which was completed in 1892, and the Methodist
Church. The Methodist church was split from the Pleasant
Point church located about 2 miles east of town. The
Pleasant Point church was established around 1811.The
Methodist church served as the school until 1913, when a new
building was erected on land donated by the Murphy family.
housed both the
High School and grade school and
in the 1920's & 30's the school was under the supervision of Tom Lay
and Prof. E. G. Mullins.
(information taken from and article written by R. K. Lowe in
1932) I. Work began on the south
end of the
on December 1873,
and the tunnel was completed in 1876. After completion of
the tunnel in 1877, the town was incorporated as Tunnel
City. It was the longest and most
expensive tunnel built between Cincinnati and Chattanooga .
The Tunnel was in service until 1963, when a mile long cut
was made in the mountain .