Kings Mountain school was
located in Methodist church building that stood on the site
of the old Presbyterian church lot. This building served as
a church and a school . This structure
was moved to the site of the present Methodist church and
again served as a the church and school. In 1899 the Murphy
family donated land to the
and the old church building was moved to the Murphy land
(the lot where the brick building stood) and this time served only as a School.
In 1913 a new brick building
was constructed on this site and used only as an Elementary
school. In 1924 four rooms were added to accommodate the
High school students.
The surrounding one room schools now attended the new
school. In 1937-38 a new gym was added to the back of the
building by the W.P.A.. Previously the basketball games
were played in the upstairs auditorium.
1942 the Basketball Team was runner up in the 12th regional
tournament. Then in 1946
the High School was closed and the students were bussed to
either Waynesburg or Highland. In
1952 Memorial High was built on US 27 and all high school
students from Kings Mountain, Highland, and Waynesburg were
moved to this new building.
In 1974 the county consolidated
all the high schools in the county, and the old Kings
Mountain School building was permanently closed and the
students were moved to
the newer Memorial High school
building. In 2006 the Kings Mountain School was
closed once again and the students now attend either
Waynesburg or Highland Elementary. The County Fiscal
court purchased the building and
donated it the the
community. The school now serves the south end of the
The school colors were originally Black and Gold, and
the mascot was the Trojan. Sometimes is the 1950's,
while Jack D.
Johnson was Principal, the color
were changed to red and white.
Article by Kings Mountain Students