A stop over in Waynesburg in November 1863 resulted in 13 local men being added to the ranks of the 49 Regiment of the Kentucky Infantry of the Union Army.   Col. John G. Eve commanded the 49th; according to the Adjutant General’s Report on the Civil War in Kentucky. His second in command was Lt. Col. Philos Stratton.

The regiment was originally formed as a cavalry unit but due to a shortage of horses was relegated to infantry duty. However, several of the men would later achieve their desire to in the cavalry when they transferred to the lst KY Cavalry..  The Adjutant’s report does not provide a great deal of details concerning the 49 role in the war except to say the entire unit would  make camp at Camp Burnside in Pulaski County.

The stop in Waynesburg came over a year after the major fighting in Kentucky had ended In October 1862, Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg left Kentucky after the Battle of Perryville. His departure ended most of the large scale fighting in the state. However, the war still raged throughout the Bluegrass as Union home guard troops fought off guerrilla attacks. which were for the most part, led by Confederate  John Hunt Morgan of Lexington..

Records indicate that at least one company of the 49th spent time in Waynesburg. All l3 of the men mustered in the Union Army Waynesburg on Nov. 4, 1863, were placed Company “D” under Capt. John. M. Cook. William Carson was the company’s first lieutenant and Henry S. Branaman was second Lieutenant..

Only two of the men, who were mustered in at Waynesburg, rose above the rank of private John R. Hicks achieved the rank of sergeant and John W. Berry became a corporal.   Hicks served in the 49th until Jan. 15, 1861 when he transferred to the 19TH Kentucky Inf. Six of the 11 privates who joined the Union cause in Waynesburg also transferred out of company on April 7, 1864. All six became members of the 7 Kentucky Cavalry. Those six were: James W. Durham, James H. Durham, Geo. W. Darrel, John Giles, Charles R.and Joseph M. Reynolds.

Five of the privates mustered in Nov. 4th, 1863, at Waynesburg followed suit and ended their service in the war on Dec. 26th, 1864, in Lexington. Those five men were Geo.W. Abbott, Joshua Boering, Elijah, Wm. M. Hayes and John C. Hicks.

The records of company “D” show that of its members died while in the service of regiment and seven were listed as deserters.  However, none of the Waynesburg men were killed and to their credit, none deserted


All drawings are the property of Lanny Hubbard
 For a copy of any Drawing
Contact Me at  lroyhub_49@hotmail.com  or lhubbard@myhubbardmtn.com