Waynesburg, located south of Stanford, was named in honor of General Anthony Wayne, a Revolutionary War hero. The town was settled in the early 1800s. According to the Lincoln County Deed Books, the early settlers were as follows: Singletons, Reynolds, Gouaches, Caldwell's, Trowbridges, Barnetts, Estes, Morgans, Lees, McMullins, Leaches, Sweeneys, Youngs, Williams, Padgetts, McKinneys, Smiths, Jacobs, Bastins, Hortons, Sims, Mitchells, Ellisons, Lanigans, Campbells and Routins.

Double Spring Baptist Church was established in 1803.  It has been in four different loactions but has always been located near two Springs.

The first post office was established in 1824. This post office has moved eight times. Between 1827-28 the post office was closed. The mail for the community was carried by Pony Express until 1893. A mail route was established in 1900 with Taylor Wesley as the first mail carrier.

A stage route was established between Somerset and Stanford. The regular stage stop at Waynesburg was at the Routen place. Mr. Acton Routin’s father made the last stagecoach run..

Some changes came with the railroad. Waynesburg moved from the stagecoach line to its present location in the 1890s Dr. A. K. Caldwell opened his office across the railroad. He served the residents of Waynesburg for about 20 years. Dr. Caldwell was born in 1866 and died in 1920. Other doctors have been Dr. Jasper who died in a railroad accident, Dr. H. C. Dye and Dr. Davison, a dentist.entist.

The town of Waynesburg has been supported by  many businesses and civic organizations. Merchants who owned stores or businesses by the railroad. were Dutch Gooch, Fred Gooch, M. R. Wheeldon, John Burlician, Acey Morgan and Aven Horton.

In the late 1800. Mr Dan Caldwell became the first undertaker in Waynesburg.  The second was Clark Gerden in 1905.  The third was J. M. Reynolds in the 1930.  and then C.R. Barnett.

The chimney still stands on the Calvin Greer farm where the first school building stood.

The Masonic Lodge No. 328 was established in 1855

The Waynesburg Deposit Bank was built and incorporated in 1907 with a total stock of $75,000. Mr Gadberry was the first teller.  The directors were Jimmie Hayes, President R. Y. Ballard, Clay Elliott, Mrs. L  Gooch and Virgil McKenzie. M. E. Wheeldon, cashier, earned $50 per month and Mr. Mullins, assistant cashier, earned $25 per month. the bank stood in the middle of town and The directors decided to close the bank in 1931 during the Great Depression, but no one lost any money. Waynesburg’s second bank was opened in 1982 as a branch of Lincoln County National Bank. A mobile unit was first used and later was replaced by a permanent  in 1983. The branch manager was Ivan Singleton and the secretary and teller was Mrs. Verna Reynolds.

Waynesburg has had three factories. A canning factory, which prepared tomatoes and mo lasses, was located across from the present Ed Buis Furniture Store and north of Dr. G. B. Williams home. They used dogwood to help in making it. Allen Horton ran this factory. It stayed open for two years, and then closed.

Singleton’s Mill, shown, is located in Waynesburg. The second one was a steering wheel factory, located at the site of the Waynesburg Lumber Company. A Mr. Jones ran it. They made steering wheels for cars and trucks. It stayed open for two years.  The third factory, the Delco Plant, was in operation in 1918. This factory remained in operation for a year. Waynesburg had a hotel located near the rail road called Warriner Hotel and later the Horton Hotel. Salesmen from all over the country stayed in the hotet.

A modern, one story structure, has replaced the old school. The old gray, stone structure was a two story  with  a basement. Some of the teachers of the Waynesburg School were Oakley Lanhan, R. H. Playforth, S. M. Cook, Delmar Wallace, G. W. Durr, Mrs. Roy McKeethan, Faunice Hubble, Leonard Horton, Columbus Hines, Alma Sanders, Mrs. Lavina Diamond, Ruby Frazier, Mrs. Mary Thompson, Guy Pennington’s father-in-law, Calvin Greer, James Bryant and Louis Estes.A

Miss Venus Ramey a former Waynesburg student was selected and crowned as Miss  Lincoln County on Sept. 20, 1939 at the Lincoln County School Fair held at Hustonville. Later she entered more beauty contests and became Miss America in 1944 .




All drawings are the property of Lanny Hubbard
 For a copy of any Drawing
Contact Me at  lroyhub_49@hotmail.com  or lhubbard@myhubbardmtn.com